Romania signed an agreement with China to expand NPP

The NPP in Cernavodă, Romania (Nuclearelectrica, Public domain)

Latvia with the biggest increase of CO2 emission in the EU

Sándor Csányi, OTP Bank, the richest man in Hungary

Romania

Nuclearelectrica, a state-owned company and an owner of the only nuclear power plant in Romania, signed an agreement with China General Nuclear Power Corporation (CGN) on setting up a joint company that will develop two new reactors at the Cernavoda NPP. The project will be a “technical and operational platform” for the completion of Cernavoda 3 and 4, which will have 700 MWe Candu 6 pressurized heavy water reactors. CGN holds 51 per cent stake in the company, with Nuclearelectrica holding the remaining 49 per cent.

Expanding the NPP, which currently supplies around 15 per cent of Romania’s energy, will help the country reduce its dependence on coal power, Romanian government stressed out.

Read more

Latvia

In 2018, Latvia experienced the biggest increase of CO2 emission among European Union member states, according to a provisional data compiled by Eurostat. CO2 emissions increased 8.5 per cent y/y.

Among the CSE countries serious CO2 emission increases were also noted in Estonia (4.5 per cent more), Poland (3.5 per cent more), Slovakia (2.4 per cent) and Lithuania (0.6 per cent). Bulgaria had the biggest decrease of CO2 emissions in the CSE — 8.1 per cent less y/y.

Eurostat’s provisional data for CO2 emissions from energy consumption does not include CO2 emissions created from burning of non-recycled waste.

Read more

Hungary

Sándor Csányi, the CEO of OTP Bank (the biggest bank in Hungary) is the richest person in Hungary with a wealth of HUF360bn (EUR1,1bn). He is followed by Lőrinc Mészáros — a close ally of Prime Minister Viktor Orbán —worth HUF296bn (EUR950m). The list of the 100 richest Hungarians was compiled by business daily Napi.hu. István Tiborcz, Mr. Orban’s son-in-law made his debut on the list at the 32nd place. According to Napi.hu’s he is worth HUF35bn (EUR107m) and became the youngest person on the list.

The total wealth of the top 100 richest Hungarians is around HUF4.633 trillion (EUR31bn). This represents an increase of HUF356.5bn (EUR1bn) y/y.

Read more

and more

What’s up in indexes

BET (of Bucharest) decreased from 8402.97 index points Wednesday, May 8th to 8310.31 index points Thursday, May 9th. It’s down 0.95 per cent d/d and down 5.03 per cent y/y.

BUX (of Budapest) decreased from 41350.00 index points Wednesday, May 8th to 41207.00 index points Thursday, May 9th. It’s down 0.35 per cent d/d and up 12.6 per cent y/y.

OMXR (of Riga) increased from 1012.78 index points Wednesday, May 8th to 1021.96 index points Thursday, May 9th. It’s up 0.91 per cent d/d and down 2.46 per cent y/y.

OMXT (of Tallinn) increased from 1254.80 index points Wednesday, May 8th to 1256.12 index points Thursday, May 9th. It’s up 0.11 per cent d/d and down 0.28 per cent y/y.

OMXV (of Vilnius) increased from 688.33 index points Wednesday, May 8th to 688.48 index points Thursday, May 9th. It’s up 0.02 per cent d/d and down 2.80 per cent y/y.

PX (of Prague) decreased from 1063.50 index points Tuesday, May 7th to 1051.40 index points Thursday, May 9th. It’s down 1.14 per cent d/d and down 3.81 per cent y/y.

Thursday, May 9th was a non-trading day at Moscow Stock Exchange. RTS (of Moscow) closed at 1233.05 index points Wednesday, May 8th. It’s up 7.96 per cent y/y.

SAX (of Bratislava) increased from 361.37 index points Tuesday, May 7th to 365.31 index points Thursday, May 9th. It’s up 1.09 per cent d/d and up 8.49 per cent y/y.

SOFIX (of Sofia) increased from 566.90 index points Wednesday, May 8th to 568.80 index points Thursday, May 9th. It’s up 0.32 per cent d/d and down 12.78 per cent y/y.

Thursday, May 9th was a non-trading day at Kyiv Stock Exchange. UX (of Kyiv) closed at 1706.22 index points Wednesday, May 8th. It’s down 5.70 per cent y/y.

WIG20 (of Warsaw) decreased from 2221.82 index points Wednesday, May 8th to 2179.40 index points Thursday, May 9th. It’s down 1.19 per cent d/d and down 4.46 per cent y/y.

Share this post

TOP