Mateusz Morawiecki, named to head economic policy in the pending government of election winner Law & Justice (PiS), is largely an outsider to politics whose bio focuses rather on a 17-year stint with Bank Zachodni WBK, including the past eight and a half years as CEO.
Morawiecki will take the reins of a new Ministry of Development which will replace the existing Ministry of Economy and coordinate economic policy for the Finance, Infrastructure, Energy and the Treasury Ministries, the latter of which is set to be closed down over time, PM candidate Beata Szydlo said.
Morawiecki joins a long line of economic policy leaders for PiS who come to their posts from outside party ranks. During its 2005-2007 reign, PiS named three finance ministers whose pedigrees were more closely tied to liberal centrist party PO plus a bank economist with no prior political affiliations whom it had taken on during the campaign for economic policy. Elsewhere, PiS is largely understood to stick to party insiders with a pedigree to select right-wing circles.
Morawiecki was widely reported to be in contention for a key economic policy post, but was one of the very few reputed ministerial candidates to stay entirely out of the press on the matter.
————– CV & BIO
– CEO of Bank Zachodni WBK since May 2007;
– employed at Bank Zachodni (later to become BZ WBK) group since 1998 as: advisor to Bank Zachodni CEO for trade finance and international relations and later CEO; following the merger of Bank Zachodni and Wielkopolski Bank Kredytowy (WBK) member of the BZ WBK management board;
– deputy director of department of EU Accession Negotiations at the Committee of European Integration (KIE) 1998;
– MBA on Wroclaw Economic Academy 1995;
– post-graduate courses: Business Administration (Wroclaw University of Technology & Central Connecticut State University, 1993); European Law and Economics of European Integration (University of Hamburg, 1995-1997); Master of Advanced European Studies (University of Basel, 1995-1997)
– graduate of Advanced Executive Program at Kellog School of Management, Northwestern University, Evanston, US;
– graduated from the History Faculty at the Wroclaw University 1992;
– born June 20, 1968 in Wroclaw;
– son of Kornel Morawiecki, member of anti-communist opposition in communist Poland and newly appointed MP of the Kukiz’15 movement;
krba/ gty/ maf